Even though the first thing we usually think of to do when our dogs eat something poisonous is to make them vomit, this is NOT always the best thing to do.
Your Vet may induce vomiting but it isn’t recommended in the following cases:
- Corrosive/caustic substances like drain cleaning products: These can lead to severe oesophageal ulceration if your dog vomits it up again
- Petrol or hydrocarbon fuel: These oily substances have a high risk of being breathed in while vomiting and can cause a severe aspiration pneumonia
- Sharp or pointed foreign bodies like bones: These can perforate through the stomach or oesophagus and lead to infection, or worse
- If your dog is depressed, sedated or comatose: Your dog may also breathe in the vomitus and develop aspiration pneumonia
If you think your dog has eaten something toxic or dangerous, take him to the vet immediately.
Your vet may decide not to induce vomiting but will still need to give your dog intensive and supportive care.
These types of intoxications can be deadly if not treated properly and promptly. Best course of action is ALWAYS to take your dog to your vet.